It's Just What We Do

It's been awhile since I have blogged.

So first for the blunt parts, the tough stuff: In the span of about two weeks in June/ July, one of our dogs Lily, Brian's favorite died and we realized he needed a walker and was no longer safe to drive. Blessed to be ambulatory more than one year from diagnosis as well as talking and eating and breathing okay, these loses were all still bitter pills to swallow and not pills I can sweeten for our consumption or anyone else's.

Knowing what will happen and watching it actually occur are different things indeed. So how do we cope? One foot in front of the other, mine strong, his weakening but still moving. Work, housework, animals (our salvation at the moment). You call the ALS Society and get more odds and ends to help. You cope, because it's just what you do.

We love the animals we still have so that helps. We love just hanging out with each other so that helps. I went to a movie and to the Cat Video Festival this week with a friend so that helped me. Brian is still fully capable of being on his own at home, but I still feel a little crumby doing that until I stop and think Brian gets a better me if I am relaxed and feel better and friend time helps that.

We are going up North again in September, that will be great for both of us. I think I  am going to drag him out to a movie this weekend. Or at least dinner out. A drive would be good too.

Bite Squad is my friend, because I always have a lot to do and some reasonably healthy food delivery, as opposed to Pizza and Monosodium Glutamate is very helpful. I cook too, including a full breakfast seven days a week and at least four dinners, often more.

We are trying to get the best out of each and every day while dealing with the free fall that is, to some extent or another the progression of ALS. I appreciate every moment I have with Brian.

I appreciate lawn mowing and movie going Friends.

One foot in front of the other. Nothing could prepare anyone for this walk, but walk it you do because it's what you got. A great, fabulous bubbly ALS patient wrote a book about living with joy and ALS. I feel unbubbly and unfabulous just thinking of her some days. I am not sure joy is in play here, but there are times of quiet contentment and appreciating what we do have. That's enough, that's great and We can roll with that. Rolling with it is just what we do.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Election Eve

For No Particular Reason, Twenty Things About Brian :)

Today